Tuesday 1 April 2014

Definition of development techniques

These definitions should be used to develop motifs.

- Levels --> the distance from the ground, changing the motifs to incorporate more heights such as jumps and also low positions on the floor.
- I have used levels throughout my dance as I transition between sequences of movements. There are points in my dance where I roll on the floor, using a low level. And there are other times where there are jumps and stretches upwards, using a high level.

- Dynamics --> the way in which a movement is executed including the speed, fluidity and sharpness.

- Direction --> the pathway taken to get from one movement to another.

- Extremes of Space --> taking either a lot of space or a only very little space in a section of dance.
- There are sections in the dance where the dancers travel a great space, running and jumping. On the other hand, there are moments in my dance of small movements where there is extremely little space travelled.

- Air pathways --> a pattern made in the air by body parts to get from one position to another.

- Addition --> adding more actions
- It is obvious that in the 2:30 minute long dance, there would have to be a great amount of addition to the motifs in order to create the final dance. As a result, a great amount of additional actions have been added to the motifs to create my final dance.

- Subtraction --> removing some actions from a motif
- In reference to my previous point, there is a contrast because sometimes I have taken very specific movements from my motifs and used it in the final dance. In my opinion, it would be slightly boring if the whole dance only consisted of motifs and motif developments, thus I think it is important to also subtract small movements from the motifs to make them shorter so these smaller sections of dance can be used throughout the piece.

- Fragmentation --> to divide up the movements of a dance and re-order it, or to simply repeat movements.

- Instrumentation --> performing the same movement using a different body part.
- An example of instrumentation is when I have developed the 'plane' motif - a motif performed with the hands. However, I decided that I would develop it using instrumentation. Instead of using my hands, I changed it to use my legs instead. As a result, my legs stretch and go 360 degrees much like the hands of a clock, a motif development that came from my 'plane' motif.

- Retrograde --> reversing the sequence of movements.

No comments:

Post a Comment